The programme provides prospective students with an opportunity to enjoy degree studies at higher-education institutions after successful completion of an access year.
What is the UAP?
We introduced this programme to assist many deserving students who do not meet our admission requirements. There are various study options:
- Higher Certificate in Economic and Management Sciences (Commerce)
- Higher Certificate in Economic and Management Sciences (Administration)
- Higher Certificate in the Humanities
- University Preparation Programme in Economic and Management Sciences (Oudtshoorn only)
- University Preparation Programme in Human and Social Sciences (Oudtshoorn only)
- University Preparation Programme in Natural Sciences
- University Preparation Programme in Agricultural Sciences
- University Preparation Programme in Education
If you complete any of the above options successfully, you can get access to almost any mainstream course – if you meet the specific admission requirements of that course. During your access year, you will get more than just academic information. We address a wider scope of needs to help you prepare for higher-education studies. In the Skills and Competencies in Lifelong Learning course, you will learn skills to help you with problem-solving, self-assertiveness, and other generic competencies. An Academic Literacy course will also improve your academic reading and writing skills.
Who may participate in the programme?
It is an open facility that welcomes all applicants who could not obtain access to a higher-education institution, including the University of the Free State.
All students: Applications open on 1 September 2020
SA students: Applications close on 30 November 2020
International students: Applications close on 30 October 2020
The programmes are presented at the following sites (option availability varies from site to site):
- Bloemfontein South Campus
- Goldfields TVET College in Welkom
- Motheo TVET College in Bloemfontein
- South Cape TVET College in Oudtshoorn (only UPP options available)
- Flavius Mareka TVET College in Sasolburg
- Maluti TVET College, Bethlehem Campus
- Maluti TVET College (Phuthaditjhaba), Kwetlisong Campus
General minimum admission requirements:
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) or National Certificate: Vocational (NCV) Level 4, and an AP of either 18 for Higher Certificates, or 20 for UAP study options.
- Four subjects on level 3 (40%–49%).
- Language of instruction on level 3 (40%) for all options.
Faculty-specific Admission Requirements:
- Economic and Management Sciences:
- BCom with specialisation in General Management study option: Mathematics on level 3 (40%) or higher.
- BAdmin study option: Mathematics is not a requirement to study this option. The duration of the course is four years. NB: You will not be allowed to change from an Administration to a Commerce programme.
- Natural Sciences:
- Mathematics on level 3 (40%) or higher; and
- Life Sciences on level 3 (40%) or higher; or
- Physical Sciences on level 3 (40%) or higher
- Agricultural Sciences (BAgric):
- Mathematics on level 2 (30%) or higher; or
- Mathematical Literacy on level 5 (60%) or higher