IIE Higher Certificate in Legal Studies
For those with the skills, drive and initiative, the legal work environment is a place of great
opportunity and reward. This higher certificate develops and provides students with a broad range
of foundational legal skills including communication, various aspects of South African law and legal
• Legal secretary
• Paralegal assistant
• General law-office assistant
• Front office manager of a legal firm
• Legal research assistant
• Clerk in the Magistrate’s Court
Candidates require a minimum of:
• A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with Higher Certificate admission – A minimum of 40% for English (as the language of teaching and learning or first additional language) is required; OR
• A National Certificate (Vocational) NC(V) with Higher Certificate admission – A minimum of 40 % in English (as the language of teaching and learning or first additional language), with a minimum of 30 % in either Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy, a minimum of 40% in Life Orientation, and a minimum of 50% in four vocational subjects; OR
• A Senior Certificate (SC) (without endorsement) or equivalent with 40% in English (as the language of teaching and learning or first additional language). A minimum of five subjects must be passed.
Mature Age Exemption/RPL Candidates:
• Must have attempted the Senior Certificate, attained the age of 23 before or during the first year of registration with three years’ work experience, and proven ability relating to the proposed programme, and demonstrate adequate communication skills; OR
• Must have attained the age of 45 before or during the first year of registration;
• Need to demonstrate suitability for admission in terms of Senate’s resolution 6.6 of 20 October 2005, which allows for Senate’s discretionary conditional admission (if applicable).
• Must ensure that they have an equivalent qualification to the aforementioned;
• Must ensure that their equivalent qualification is evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA);
• Must possess a study permit issued in the name of The Independent Institute of Education (The IIE), which is valid for the duration of the qualification.