Maastricht university admission requirements
1. VWO diploma or an international equivalent
You are eligible for admission to UCM if you have a Dutch VWO diploma or an international equivalent thereof. Below you can find an overview of diplomas that are recognised as an international equivalent of the Dutch VWO diploma.
UCM does not have any additional subject requirements. Eligibility for admission on the basis of diplomas is assessed through diploma evaluation. If you have not yet obtained the diploma, you can still apply with your latest grade list.
2. Letter of motivation
- Why and what would you like to study at UCM?
- What do you expect of a college education?
- What are your plans after graduating from UCM?
3. English proficiency
No additional proof of English proficiency is required if you are a native English speaker or if you have obtained or will obtain:
- an International or European Baccalaureate
- a high school diploma in the USA
- GCE A-levels
- a VWO diploma with a minimum overall grade of 7 in English
- Zeugnis der Algemeine Hochschulreife with a minimum overall grade of 8 in English
Be sure to take your test in time. It can take a while before you get the results.
When registering for the TOEFL, please use the code for Maastricht University, which is 7102.
The required scores are:
- IELTS test: minimum overall score of 6.5
- TOEFL test: internet-based, overall minimum score of 90
- A Cambridge certificate: CPE with a minimum score of C, or CAE with a minimum score of B
Complete the credit transfer request form and upload it in MyUM, together with a transcript.
After you have received an invitation to attend UCM, the Examination Committee will determine the number of credits that are eligible for transfer and informs you before the beginning of the academic year. The maximum number of credits that can be transferred to UCM is 60 ECTS.
During the introduction days, you will discuss with the Examination Committee the consequences of the credit transfer for your curriculum . Please note that credits needed in order to be eligible for admission cannot be transferred, nor can credits obtained at a community college or junior college.
Binding Study Advice
Are you an international student and need help meeting the admission requirements?
More about the Foundation Programme