Plumbing Courses 2020 Intake In South Africa
We have basic Plumbing Courses that covers the SABS standards on plumbing and theoretical introductions to plumbing covering sanitary ware, cold water, hot water, geysers, heat pumps, drainage and much more of the plumbing field. We also offer an advanced practical plumbing course that in addition to the basic plumbing course also covers sheet metal, copper bending including all the latest changes and newest products.
We have recently added to our training two courses namely Solar Water Heating Course and Heat Pump Course.
The Solar Water Heating Course includes Low Pressure and High Pressure Systems, Flatbed, EVT tube, Photo volcanic systems.
The Heat Pump training includes the installation of systems and the actual implementation of the heat pump and the operation of the heat pump.
The current regulations of section 28 trade test that has to be passed to become a Qualified plumber are 4 years in the field practically working as a plumber in the trade day to day.
We also have a pre trade preparation course where we prepare the candidates with the necessary plumbing experience for their upcoming trade test, areas we zoom in on when preparing are, sheet metal, copper bending, the times available to finish tasks given.
Above all previously mentioned plumbing courses, we also offer International Plumbing Training. Being accredited by City & Guilds we are the first and only College in South Africa accredited to offer these international qualifications in plumbing and construction. Which includes level 2, level 3, and a 2 year full time Diploma in Plumbing accepted in 87 countries around the world, Get yourself involved in a career before its too late.
Basic Plumbing Course (Theory)
The Basic Plumbing Course is an 8 day theoretical course with some basic practical elements.
This course introduces you to Plumbing and teaches all the systems, tools and fittings.
This course needs to be done before the Solar Water Heating course can be done.
This is a daily course from 8:00 – 1:30
- All plumbing maintenance.
- Cold water systems are repaired.
- Hot water systems are repaired.
- Geysers inspected and maintained.
- Repair taps and valves
- Install a washbasin, Shower, WC & Pedestal and bath.
- Water leaks are detected.
- Hidden pipe work traced.
- Inspect, maintain and repair soil and waste water systems.
- Inspecting and maintaining drainpipes.
- Install a below-ground drainage system
- Repairing drainpipes and fittings.
- Tracing hidden pipe work.
- Clearing of Blockages
Duration: +/-2 Weeks
Basic Plumbing Course Fees:
R 6 800 (Course only)
R 2 900 (Accommodation + 3 meals included)
Plumbing Courses Dates:
Solar Water Heating and Heat Pumps
Basic Electrical Course
Advanced Plumbing and Electrical Courses
No Experience required, previous plumbing experience will be an advantage.
Advanced Plumbing Course (Theory)
- The Advanced Plumbing Course is a 6 weeks practical course.
- You will perform a series of plumbing works under the supervision of our highly trained and competent Assessors.
- This course enables you to perform all tasks a plumber need to in general.
- This course does not make you a qualified plumber.
- This course can be broken up into sections if you cannot be at the College full time – in this case the days you do attend are counted to the value of six weeks.
Areas addressed in the course
- Interpret basic building drawings
- Erect and dismantle scaffolding
- Mark out and cut sheet metal
- Mark out, rivet and solder sheet metal
- Fit GMS gutters and rain water pipes
- Fit PVC gutters and rainwater pipes
- Fabricate and fit a GMS VP flashing
- Fabricate and fit GMS chimney flashing
- Fabricate a box gutter with stop end, circular outlet and abutment flashing
- Arc weld basic components
- Gas weld and braze basic components
- Cut, thread and assemble GMS pipe-work
- Cut, bend and Assemble copper pipe-work
- Repairs and alterations to existing GMS pipe-work
- Repairs and alterations to existing copper pipes
- Install a push-through geyser
- Install a high pressure geyser
- Install underground CW reticulation
- Fire fighting installation
- Repair to and maintenance of taps and valves
- Repair to HP mains
- Recognition and installation of soil and waste systems
- Install a sink
- Install a washbasin
- Install a bath
- Install a bidet
- Install a shower
- Install a WC (Pedestal)
- Install a urinal (wall Hung)
- Recognition of below-ground drainage system
- Set out and determine levels
- Excavation and timbering trenches
- Install a below-ground drainage system
- Build a manhole to benching height (brick) )
- Build a manhole to benching height (concrete ring)
- Removal of blockages from and repairs to waste, soil and drainpipes
Duration: 2 Weeks
Plumbing Course Fees:
R 6 800 (Course only)
Plumbing Course Dates:
Starts Every Monday
This Course is specifically designed to get you ready for you trade test.
We will do the following in you pre trade preparation:
- Test on standard
- Test on speed
- Assist on standard
- Assist on speed
- You will refresh your knowledge on:
- Sheet Metal
- Copper Bending
- Hot Water
- Cold Water
Advanced Plumbing Course
- Start every Monday through the year.
Duration: +/-6 Weeks
Advanced Plumbing Course Fees:
R18 500 (Course only)
R 10 000 (Standard Accommodation + 3 meals)
No Experiance required, previous plumbing experiance will be an advantage.
Solar and Heat Pumps
Course Duration. 3-4 days
Fees R3 200 (Course Only)
Fees R1000 (Accom + 3 Meals)
International City and Guilds Plumbing Diploma
The City and Guilds International Diploma in Plumbing and Heating is a 2 and a Half year practical and theoretical course @ R 61 000.00 per year ( inclusive of all international examination fees and text books – (if an exam is failed the re writing cost is for the account of the student))
- Starts the 11th of January and thereafter every Monday throughout the year.
- This is a 2 and a half year permanent study course.
You will perform a series of plumbing works under the supervision of our highly trained and competent Assessors.
This course enables you to perform all tasks a plumber need to nationally and internationally
This course is a full Qualification course – when finished successfully you are a qualified plumber.
This Course is accepted in 87 Countries across the world
Areas addressed in this Course
Level 2 (first year)
- Understand and apply domestic central heating system installation and maintenance
- Understand and apply domestic rainwater system installation and maintenance techniques
- Apply Domestic above ground drainage system installation and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic hot water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic cold water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Understand how to apply scientific principles within Mechanical Engineering Services
- How to communicate with others within Building Services Engineering
- Understand and Carry out site preparation and pipework fabrication techniques for domestic areas
- Understand and carry out safe working practices in building
Level 3 (second year)
- Understand and apply domestic sanitation system installation, commissioning services
- Understand and carry out electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems and components
- Understand domestic central heating techniques
- Understand domestic hot water system techniques
- Understand domestic cold water techniques
- Understand how to organise resources within Building Services Engineering
Last 6 months
Consists mostly out of practical work on site and various other activities provided by the College.
City and Guilds Plumbing Diploma Fees
Total Annual Course Fee R 61 000
Deposit Per Year R 31 000
Remaining Fees may be paid off as follow: Monthly R30 000.00 ÷ 11 = R 2727.27 pm Quarterly R30 000 ÷ 3 = R10 000.00 per quarter
- Fees include all text books and International Examination fees.
- If the student has to re- write examinations the fee will be charged additionally @ R1000.00 per subject.
As per rental agreement
- Accommodation rooms are shared by 2 individuals
- 3 meals a day are provided, laundry is done weekly.
- Students provide their own Bed, bedding, cutlery and corckery and any pots, pans or utensils they may want to use.
Life Skills Training & Soft Skills
Apart from Plumbing Training we offer in life skills such as Anger Management, Conflict resolution etc.
As we come highly recommended and students study plumbing courses at our Accredited College come from all over the country we offer accommodation that is of the highest quality. All hostels have a communal TV area .
The accommodation of ourcourses includes 3 meals a day.
Rooms are shared by 2-3 students depending on the size of the room.
We offer a shuttle service to and from the College, Train station, or airport and our hostels.
We have weekly intakes on Mondays depending on the course the candidate wants to take.
The Electrical Course is a 3 weeks Theoretical and Practical course at R8900.00
You will perform a series of Electrical works under the supervision of our highly trained and competent Assessors.
This course enables you to perform tasks an Electrician needs to in general.
This course does not make you a qualified electrician.
- 1 Feb – 10 Feb 2020
- 6 March – 15 March 2020
- 8 May – 17 May 2020
- 3 July – 12 July 2020
- 4 Sept – 13 Sept 2020
- 4 Dec – 13 Dec 2020
Areas Addressed in the course.
- Identify symbols and components.
- Various types of switches are identified according to their symbols.
- Various types of protection devices are identified according to their symbols.
- Various types of control devices are identified according to their symbols.
- Various types of load devices are identified according to their symbols.
- Sketch a basic circuit diagram.
- Circuits are limited to:
- Single way switching, two way switching, intermediate switching, switch and relay, rotary switches.
- Instructions are interpreted according to work site procedures.
- Symbols used conform to ISO and IEC standards.
- The function of each component is understood and described correctly.
- Circuit diagrams are sketched neatly and symmetrically according to instructions.
- Circuit diagrams are functional according to instructions.
- Construct single-phase circuits.
- Relevant components are obtained according to diagram.
- Components are suitably and correctly connected according to diagram.
- Circuit is correctly connected to the power supply according to statutory requirements.
- Operation of the circuit is correct according to instructions.
- The reason for using overload protection is correctly stated.
- Complete task.
- Work area is cleaned in accordance with house keeping standards.
- Ensure that tools are stored in their correct place in a accordance with work place practices and manufacturers specifications.
- Waste materials are disposed of according to work site procedures and statutory requirements and environmental standards.
- Documentation is completed in detail and submitted to meet work site standards and procedures
- Plan to wire and commission domestic or commercial circuits.
- Job instruction is interpreted and a sequence of operation is determined.
- Applicable electrical drawings are correctly interpreted and selected to meet job requirements.
- Equipment and personal protective equipment is selected, inspected and checked for functionality and safety prior to commencement.
- Safety procedures related to job requirements and work site procedures are obtained.
- Different types/sizes of wire conductors are identified and selected according to job instructions.
- Appropriate tools are identified and selected to meet the requirements of the task according to statutory requirements.
- Prepare to wire and commission domestic or commercial circuits.
- Wire ways are identified and checked to be ready for the installation of wires/conductors or cables.
- Work site is inspected for safety and hazards and corrective action is taken according to statutory requirements.
- Wire way installation is checked for the placing/mounting of inspection/end/termination boxes, end products and various obstacles so as to take necessary corrective action or processes when wiring domestic or commercial circuits.
- End products = distribution board, light switches, socket outlets, light fittings, geyser point and stove point.
- Obstacles = through walls or concrete decking, over beams, around corners/bends, over water pipes.
- Wire domestic or commercial circuits.
- Appropriate tools are selected and used correctly as per manufacturer’s specifications and work site standards.
- Draw wire is inserted into wire way in preparation for pulling through of wires into wire ways or through/around obstacles.
- Circuits are wired separately into wire ways depending on the circuit requirements to comply with SANS standards.
- Distribution boards, isolators and circuit protection devices, lighting circuits, socket outlet circuits, stove circuit, geyser circuit and bell circuit.
- Single phase and three phase circuits.
- Maximum amounts of wires per size of wire ways and type of circuit is adhered to as per SANS standards.
- Correct colour coded wires are used in wire ways as per the SANS and job requirements.
- Wiring must be done in accordance with SANS standards.
- Various sizes of wiring and flexible cabling for different circuits, terminated with compression glands, bends radius and inspection boxes.
- All connections must be correct, tight and required slack as per job requirements in accordance with SANS.
- Commission domestic or commercial circuits.
- Distribution board is inspected, checked, tested to ensure that protection devices are operational; wiring and connections are correct.
- All inspection boxes and terminations are inspected and checked to be correct before circuit is energised/commissioned.
- Tests are conducted on circuits for requirements and energising to ensure compliance with work site procedures, SANS standards and safety regulations.
- Continuity tests, insulation tests and polarity test.
- Different circuits are energised/commissioned individually to ensure that it is correct.
- Lighting circuits, plug circuits, geyser circuit, stove circuit.
- Tests are conducted on specific circuits to ensure that earth leakage protection is operational within the stipulated rating.
- Complete the wiring and commissioning of domestic or commercial circuits.
- Electrical installations are labelled as per SANS 10142-1.
- All connections are tight and mechanically sound to ensure electrical safety.
- Test readings are recorded using appropriate documentation and forms as specified in work site procedures.
- The work area is cleaned and waste disposed of in the appropriate manner.
- Work area is restored to serviceable condition according to statutory requirements.
- Appropriate tools are cared for and stored according to work site requirements.
- Reports/documentation and drawing are updated and returned to source according to statutory requirements.
Advanced Electrical Wiring Course
6 Week Course : R 18 500
Accommodation R 10 000
Areas Addressed in the course:
- Identify electrical symbols, components and their applications
- Design forward, reverse and sequential motor control circuits
- Fault finding & wire 3ph 2 speed motor panel with selector
- Fault finding 3ph forward & reverse panel
- Wire 3ph forward & reverse panel
- Wire 3ph energy meter panel
- Install and wire motor control circuits
- Read and interpret electrical drawings
- Connect energy meters in a single and three phase configuration
- Connection of three phase squirrel cage induction- and slip ring motors
- Single and three phase motor tests
- Interpretation of drawings and sketches
- Wiring of different motor starters
- Fault finding and protection
- Identify electrical components and equipment
- Plan an electrical installation
- Install an electrical installation
- Distribution board lay-out and wiring
- Installation test
- Bending of conduit pipe
- Testing and wiring of a CT Amp selector switch
- Testing and wiring of a PT Voltage selector switch
- Protection on power distribution
- Calculation of transformer configurations
- Wiring of three phase transformer
- Built a single phase transformer
- Transformer tests
If you would like to find out more about our Plumbing Courses, please contact us!