University of Stellenbosch Application Forms
How do I apply-Download application forms here
STEP 1: Choose your study programme(s)
- Read up on all the programmes we offer at Stellenbosch University by visiting What can I study?
- Choose your study programme(s) and make sure of the following:
1) that you meet the minimum admission requirements and
2) that you are well informed about your faculty’s selection guidelines
STEP 2: TAKE NOTE OF THE CLOSING DATES
- 31 May: MB,ChB
- 30 June: All other programmes
- 30 June: Residence application
- 31 August: Financial support
STEP 3: ENSURE YOU KNOW HOW AN APPLICATION IS CONSIDERED AT THE UNIVERSITY
- Submitting your completed application form and meeting the minimum admission requirements does not necessarily mean that you will be accepted as a student for the programme(s) you apply for. All programmes only allow a limited number of students.
- You can select a first, second and third programme choice. The reason you may indicate three programmes, is that there are programmes with extensive criteria and it is possible that you will not to be selected for your first choice, but you may still be selected for your second or third choice.
- However, if we inform you that you have been selected for your second choice, for instance, this does not mean that you cannot be considered for your first choice anymore.
- Please also note that you can only be admitted to one programme at a time. If you are admitted to your second choice at first, and your first choice is then reconsidered, your second choice will lapse as soon as you are admitted to your first choice.
- The following programmes all have extensive selection processes: All programmes in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences; all programmes in the Faculty of Law; BA (Visual Arts); BA (Drama); BA (Music); BMus; BA (Sport Science); BSc (Sport Science); BEd (GenEd); BEngineering; and BCom (International Studies).
– If your first programme choice is one of the abovementioned programmes, you must indicate a second choice, and where applicable, even a third choice.
– You can only choose one programme from the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
– Your first and second choices may both be from the list of selection programmes above, but then you must also indicate a third choice not from this list.
- If you want to change your programme choice, send an e-mail containing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember that you can only be considered if there are places available in the programme.
- To help you place your programme choice in the correct order, also bear the following in mind:
Medicine and Health Sciences and Education
These two faculties will only consider your programme choice if it is indicated as your first choice.
Selection for the programmes BA (Law), BCom (Law) or BAccLLB will only be considered if it is your first programme choice. The undergraduate, four-year LLB programme will be considered as a first or a second choice on your application
Arts and Social Sciences
Only first and second choices of programme will be considered. Third choices of programme will only be considered if both the first and second choices of programme are programmes with programme-specific selection procedures. Acceptance for a second and/or third programme choice in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences lapses when a candidate gets accepted for a first and/or second programme choice in another faculty. If a candidate then decides to revert back to a programme choice in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences a written request must be submitted by 30 September of the previous year. Such requests will only be considered if places are available.
Economic and Management Sciences
This faculty will consider first, second or third programme choices. If you have more than one programme on your list, all Economic and Management Sciences choices will be considered in your order of preference, based on your selection score, your application marks and on whether there are places available in the programme concerned. This arrangement does not include BComm (International Studies), BAccLLB and BCom (Law).
Science, AgriSciences, Engineering and Theology
These faculties will consider your application for one of their programmes as a first, second or third choice.
STEP 4: APPLY
- Apply online. You will need an e-mail address and cellphone number. Please follow the steps as set out in the e-application.
- Or get a paper application form at 021 808 9111 or at email@example.com.
- You must please ensure that the information you provide is correct. If the information is incorrect the University is entitled to reject your application, terminate your application or cancel your registration immediately.
STEP 5: COMPLETE THE APPLICATION AND SEND THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Your application will be considered as soon as we receive all your admission documents. If we do not receive all your documents by the closing date, your application will unfortunately not be considered. Your signed contract, your application documents as well as proof of payment can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or uploaded online before the closing date. Remember to put your student number on each application document to ensure that we can identify the documents. It remains your responsibility to make sure that the University receives these documents in time. You can monitor your application status on www.maties.com and ensure that your application is complete.
YOUR APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
If you want to be considered for any of the specified selection programmes, you need to complete the relevant forms below:
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (for all programmes)
- Speech-Language and Hearing Therapy – visitation form
- Dietetics – visitation form
- BA (Visual Arts)
- BA Drama and Theatre Studies
- BA/BSc Sport Science
STEP 6: PAY THE APPLICATION FEE
- Application fees can be paid as part of the online application process
- Cash payments may also be made in person at the cashiers at the Administration A building (Stellenbosch Campus).
- More on payment options.
STEP 7: RECEIVE YOUR STUDENT NUMBER AND MONITOR YOUR APPLICATION STATUS
- The University will acknowledge receipt of your application via e-mail.
- You will receive a student number (username) and password.
- With this student number and password you can track your status of application – both for studies and residence (if applicable) by logging in www.maties.com.
STEP 8: WRITE THE NATIONAL BENCHMARK TEST (NBT’S)
- It is compulsory for ALL prospective first-year students at SU, regardless of the matriculation year, studies at another higher education institution, or examination system followed, to write the National Benchmark Tests.
- If you apply for a programme in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences or for a programme in Law, you must write the National Benchmark Test (NBT) before the end of June, as the achievement in the NBT is used in the selection process.
- For all other programmes you must write the NBT before you may register as a student at Stellenbosch University. We may use the results for placement in a main stream or an extended degree programme.
- Read more on the NBT’s and how faculties can use the results for selection and placement decisions.
- Please visit www.nbt.ac.za or call 021 650 3523 to get more information and/or make a booking to write the NBT’s.
STEP 9: CONDITIONAL ADMISSION AND REGISTRATION
- If you are offered conditional admission for your programme of choice you need to meet with all the admission requirements before you can register as a student.
- Be sure to visit www.maties.com regularly to remain informed about registration and the welcoming programme
For further enquiries, please contact our Client Service Centre
Tel.: 021 808 9111
Fax: 021 808 3822